Re: Photography as Art?

"Is Photography Art?"

You may quote me on this ... "What a totally stupid question".

Photography is a generic term for using a camera, for taking
photographs.

Ask if painting is art.
Well, the chaps who painted the outside of our house last year were
not artists (p*ss artist maybe ;o)
The robot that painted my last new car was not an artist - though
again it was painting.

A photo-booth is not an artist (by all but the most obscure
definitions)
A speed-camera is not an artist ...

The question

"Is photography a valid medium for the creation of works of art"
"Can a photograph be a work of art ..."

...closer?