Re: Just how do filters work?

This has nothing to do with what photons are or aren't.  In fact, the
Extinction Theorem is based solely on Classical Electrodynamics, and
doesn't even refer to things called "photons".    Light waves (or photons)
don't simply travel through dielectrics like glass as if nothing is there.
 The waves interact with the molecules of the glass.   For discussion
purposes it is simpler to refer to "photons" rather than "waves", but it
makes no difference.

When a photon hits the surface of a window, it is immediately absorbed by
the first molecule of silica (or whatever) that it encounters.  Almost as
immediate, the molecule emits a photon, in a random direction.   This "new"
photon travels through the glass, but not very far, since it is absorbed by
another molecule.  This happens over and over, for all of the photons (or
waves) that are incident on the glass surface.  All of these random waves
interact with each other (in a classical sense, this does not require
quantum mechanics to discuss) in such a manner that the end result is a
light wave (photon, whatever...) hitting the front surface of the window,
and appearing to exit through the rear surface.

How else do you explain the fact that glass has an index of refraction
(implying that the speed of light is slower in glass).  What slows down the
waves if they simply travel through the window unimpeded?

I studied this in my 3rd year undergrad course in Electrodynamics.  The
theory in question took a week for the professor to teach to us (and was
too advanced to be included in J.D. Jackson's textbook, again, check up
Born and Wolf, "Principles of Optics", if you are masochistic enough.  In
my 6th edition, the stuff is discussed around page 100.)

On a related note, when light reflects off a metallic surface, do you think
the photons are simply bouncing off the metal atoms at the surface?  NO!
They are absorbed by the metal's loosely bound electrons, and these
electrons emit photons in response.  It is these emitted photons (waves,
whatever...) that we see "bouncing" back from the metal.

This isn't something I picked up on the "Internet".   Just because I may be
a hack photographer, doesn't mean that I know nothing about physics.  I
must have learned something while earning my Masters.

dan c.