Gallery

Jeff Spirer
Clock:  This photograph looks as if it should be accompanied by an ad for life insurance.   ("Time is slipping away.  Are your loved ones taken care of when the clock ticks it's your last second?")  The clock's face looks as if it is very old and I like the macro view of it - it shows the age and wear.  The composition and framing is balanced and pleasing.

Emily L. Ferguson
East Tower, Leonard P. Zakim bridge, Boston, MA:  The rich blue, the design and strong pattern all make a striking image.  An innovative way to photograph a bridge.  Very pleasing.

D.L. Shipman
Great Egret (Camerodius albus):  Could you have asked the Great Egret to have lowered his head just enough to make it cross the frame at an angle?  (I'm kidding, of course).   Nice detail in the feathers, well exposed and everything is in focus.

Greg Fraser
Edison Art:  This is a simple, clean shot, but it is made interesting because of the design elements.  The lines leading to the upper left hand corner carry my eyes back and forth from the pole to the corner.  Like Jeff's "Clock" shot, a "usual" subject is seen from a different perspective and made unusual.

Bob Talbot
Golden Eagle:  I love the selective focus you used with this photograph, Bob.  Every feather on the Golden Eagle is in focus, yet the background is a soft, brown blur.  No one would ever know this was a captive bird if you hadn't told us.  A very nice shot.

Jim Snarski
Tall Leggy Blond:  The humor you used in your title is great, Jim.  When I enlarged the image, I was bothered by the trees in the background - I wanted to see more of the giraffe.  In the thumbnail, however, the trees add to the feel of being in Kenya.  Some of the larger branches echo the tall, thin neck of the animal, also.  More than anything - I want to be there!

jIMMY Harris
Colorado Camp Fire:  (I don't know why you say fire and air is different at 8,000 feet, jIMMY.  This is how my kitchen looks when I try to make coffee {:->)  The blue of the rocks cause me to feel the cold of where you are.   The darkness tells me it's night or very early morning.  The flames offer warmth.  I feel as if I'm sitting right beside the camp fire.  Seeing the rocks through the flames is an interesting effect.

Peeter Vissak
Firedom:  Wow!  I love this, Peeter.  It's powerful and colorful.  What else can I say.

King/Arthur
Caesura:  This shot is a little confusing due to the darkness in the lower right hand corner.   I'm just not sure what is going on - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It causes me to study the photograph.  It appears that some detail was lost in the scanning process and that detail would allow the viewer to see that it is a market place.

Richard Cooper
RochesterNY9-02:  I like night shots, and this one is no exception.  Even though everything is dark, there is crispness in everything I can see (the fence, the outlines of the buildings, etc.)  There is lots of detail in the photograph.  I can look at this photograph for a long time and still find things that interest me.  I think that is a sign of a good image.

Scott Thurmond
The Old Gatehouse:  Another photograph I like just because "it's there".  I favor black and whit images; there is interesting detail in the trees and building.  The feel of the photograph is that it was taken decades ago, at a quieter, more civilized time.  It makes me wonder what goes on behind the stone walls.  Who is inside?  What are they doing?  Is the building still occupied, Scott?  I like photographs that have a mystery to them.

I enjoyed all the photographs in this week's gallery.  Thank you, Andy and staff for making it possible for us to view it.  Thank you to those who contributed.

A reviewer recently mentioned that certain photographs are just not their thing.  I think that is why we have such an eclectic and interesting gallery - not every photograph is going to be "our thing".  But that adds to the gallery rather than detracts.  We all have different subjects and styles we favor.  How boring it would be if we all photographed the same things in the same way.

Marilyn