Re: Photoshop working with 16 bit images, etc.

> I couldn't find the original post lamenting the fact that Photoshop
> won't handle 16 bit images, but here is help. You CAN make
selections
> and masks and work with these images!
It was my post and it does not.

I was intrigued when PS 7 came out to see if they finally ...
... nope, the majority of tools still only work for 8 bit per channel.
Even the histogram?

Yes, even PS 5 "works" with 16-bit per channel - err, it lets you load
them and do a few basic manipulations.  It is not seamless though.

> To work magic in Photoshop using 48 bit images go here:
> http://www.computer-darkroom.co.uk/
> look under 'Photoshop Tutorials' 'editing 16 bit images'.

Well, Jim, here is the opening paragraph  ;o)
"I'm sure, like me, you have read the various recommendations that
Photoshop users should endeavour to edit their images in high-bit
mode. The argument has been that by doing so we can minimise the data
loss that is inherent in any image editing operation. However, open a
high-bit image in Photoshop you will immediately realise that many of
the tools with which you are familiar and so dependent are disabled. "

The biggest omission for me:
"Chief among the missing tools are adjustment layers "

Sure, the tutorial does show some kludges to get round *some* of the
deficiencies - but they reamin kludges.
Indeed, I'll keep the tutorial (the PDF version) and have a go but the
truth is it should be seamless to be of real value.

> For selective Photoshop masking that works for unsharpening your
image
> better, go here:
> http://digitaldog.net/tips.html
> look for the PDF file called "Selective Sharpening using an image
> mask"
Again, an interesting document ... thanks.
It still does not change the fact that PS is an 8-bit per channel
system.

Bob