Re: John F., I presume?

Greg,

> Andy, while reading the acknowledgements on the "Images from Science"
> web page, I read that you were involved in investigating the Kennedy
> assassination. ... can you tell us anything about your role and what
>you found out?

I worked for the House Committee reviewing some of the photographic work that
was originally completed by the FBI, etc. and mostly had to do with Oswald
in his backyard photographs where he is holding a newspaper and a rifle. He
claimed that was not him and that his head had been retouched onto someone
else's body _ something several "experts" seemed to believe as well.

Unfortunately I did not find any evidence of tampering with the negatives or
the prints. The negatives had tell-tale edge markings indicating the same
source for them (we did not have the original camera - at least I don't think
we did - so we could not match the negatives to a given camera). Leslie
Stroebel did some shadow analysis to point out the credible shifts of nose
shadow position with chnages in the attitude and rotation of Oswald's head from
photo to photo. We also did some testing to prove that a close-up lens could
probably not have produced the images ultimately seen on the negatives and
prints we had and which presumably came from Marina Oswald's camera.

I also did some work with a photograph that was taken of the Depository
building trying to extract an image out of the darkness in one of the windows
of the bldg. Also looked at a couple of crowd photos trying to identify people.

All in all, my opinion of the photographic work I saw was that it did not seem
"made up" or retouched in any way.

Andy