Re: file formats

> Now QKano, I know it gets up your nose!  But give the poor guy a
> break.  Surely he's just getting his feet wet a bit with this and if
> he's using photoshop I think it's best to speak to the menu which
> adjusts size and works in dpi and either inches or centimeters
> (millimeters?).

DUH!!!

I never said anything - not to the list - I might have thought it but
that's no crime ;o)

One point came out from a quote I never said though - it's
mindnumbingly stupid to embed colour profiles and preview thumbnails
in images intended for web display.  Current browsers ignore them and
display the image as sRGB (which is about the only sensible profile in
common use right now).  In the ideal world, if we switch to 16-bit
sRGB variant we can finally get rid of the "my profile is better than
yours" BS and work with one that holds more than enough colour values
rather than today's barely enough version ;o)

Back to the header crap referred to.

Some web pages I visit have tiny thumbnails each of over 10 k
When you investigate why you find that, as an example.

1) prepared with PhotoShop.
2) image data ca 2.5k
3) embedded profile 5K
4) embedded thumnail - 2.5K

So only a tiny fraction contributes to what we see but as a page of
thumbs it all contibutes to how long we wait ;o(

PS 6+ let you "save for web" I'm told (which coincidentally saves it
without the crap)
Alternatively I use JpegWizard - which used to be free but now Pegasus
charge for it ...

Bob

PS:  it's Qkano not QKano  ;o)