Gallery of 2002-10-12

Work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

>        Dan Mitchell - Cockerel
"Additional details: Camera: Canon digital S300
Notes: I like fowl, wild or otherwise ! "
Well, I like checken too - roast preferably.

OK, the picture.
Yey, it's not just a cockerell, it's crowing, but it's still just a
record of cockerell.
Why it's not particularly pictorial comes to
1) the background:  does nothing for me
2) the viewpoint: it's a thing of mine but I prefer animal pictures to
be taken from the animals level.  Lie on the ground ?

>        Bob Talbot - The B.M.
The British Museum (I don't like long titles) in London.  All the new
stonework is white, but the light is a mixture of daylight and
fluorescent.  TTL-metered using 4/3 stop compensation.  Needed a
tripod but I was just out for a walk ... and meeting up with a fellow
PF-er.

>        John Mason - Frank Morgan, Charlottesville, Virginia, 4
October 2002
Nice picture of its genre ... I never connect with the mood of these
shots because I guess I've never been there.  I like having the other
musician out of focus - if you have cropped this I would prefer it
shifted a bit to the left.  As shown it could easily be a digital
composite:  so sharp is every part of the subject  (Was it?).

>        jIMMY Harris - More Fish Stories
Nature photography needs action to work these days.  Straight shots of
single birds just sat there, looking down at 45 degrees have been
done.   The technical quality of this is again not great (assuming it
is a scan of a print) but the composition is fine and catching one of
them doing sommat different is the right approach.  The title - well,
it does add humour.  Without the title is it just a picture of birds?

>        Marilyn Dalrymple - Hey!  What's goin' on back there?
I'd take that cat home with me for sure - but I could not afford the
6-months in quarantine.  Very "cat" is all I see.  As a picture in its
own right:  shame the toy was there at all.

>        Emily L. Ferguson - Nobska at dawn
A photo about sunrise - colours and space.  Add a silhouette of even a
bird in flight and becomes a different scene.

Scan of slide or a print?  I'm curious about the vertical banding in
the sky that's all.   Lovely colours (artefact or not) and nicely
framed by the pillar (left) and slight vignetting/falloff? top right.

Provia:  don't use that normally but I did try to scan a slide for
someone else last week.  On my scanner (Nikon LS30) the extra contrast
(over Sensia) certaily gave me difficulties).

>        Alan P. Hayes - Downpour
When you say driving:  hope you were the passenger ;o)
A depressing shot for anyone with a memory of driving in pouring rain.

I tried some very similar shots (from the passenger seat) in June this
year.
What I found curious was that throught the f2.8 lens you could read
signposts etc that bye eye were obscured by the wain on the
windscreen.  Averaging?

>        Greg Fraser - Downpour
Really ... the gallery gnomes got the title wrong, no?

Plums:  seen better days - almost looks like a severe dose of
orchiditis.
Was it taken on grainy B&W film?  Good choice for the subject - but
for web display silver grain seems to come over badly (while in real
life grainy pictures work well for me in a way that digital
pixellation could not).

>        Peeter Vissak - Forkload
A timeless shot (unless that is a telegraph pole bottom right).
The bird adds a nice touch - would have been even better placed a
couple of seconds later - by which time the fork-load would have been
on the fire.

Is there too much silhouette of the bushes?  The real interest for me
is in the man and the fire.

>        Andrew Fildes - Sven
Good portrait - not just for the novelty of it being with a 16mm

Considering the format it has not distorted the subject's face
anywhere near as much as I would have expected unless:
Sven has in real life a very small nose.
Is this taken from "his best side" as anyone familar with Barry
Manilow will understand?

>        Christopher Strevens - Putting on the agony
"Putting on" almost implies "piling it on" as if it is faux agony?
Was it?
The baby and tit adds an aspect missing from the usual "beggar shot".

Back to angles again. As with the fowl ... I prefer pictures shot from
the subject's level (even if that means kneeling / sitting on a dirty
pavement).

>        Richard Cooper -
'New York 9-02
Sept 2nd, Sept 2002, 9th Feb. ?
Dates don't travel well.

Is this the same Rochester as in RIT?   From the shots of the campus
on Andy's links I thought it was more rural ... parkland.

This picture for me is about coldness and isolation despite being in a
city.
City lights:  from afar so welcoming but once there - unless you have
money - a hostile place.  The railings ...symbolising a prison?

Dunno - technically I can't work out the verticals ... I senst the
picture is tilted but the railings are upright.