Re: PF Exhibits on 12-OCT-02

At 9:40 AM -0400 10/12/02, ADavidhazy wrote:
>The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated OCT-12-02. Authors
>with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:
>
>        Dan Mitchell - Cockerel

Hmm.  Lotta grass.  Eye not clear.  Now I know we've discussed rules
vs. guidelines, but the old eye nostrum always seemed to make an
awful lot of sense to me.  I wish the chicken's eye were tack sharp
and closer to me.  And I wish there were something about the photo
that contained an implication of male-ness.  For all I know about
chickens this could be any old chicken.  It's only from the title
that I get further info.  But I can imagine how the photographer
could have contributed to reinforcing that - a lower angle like lying
on the ground and shooting up at the bird's head would have
definitely put across a different message.

This version is just a statement.  "Cockerel" needs some sort of
exclamation point.

>        Bob Talbot - The B.M.

Well, in american BM has a slightly less than savory definition, but
I'm wondering, where are the Elgin Marbles?  Under this balcony?  The
sky seems overexposed but the walls are luscious and what did you do
to keep those little footlights from turning yellow?  And the shadows
of the roof on the walls are very nice, too, especially the swirl.

>        John Mason - Frank Morgan, Charlottesville, Virginia, 4 October 2002

Beautiful cliche.  I can't decide whether I'd prefer to excise the
bass player or not.  Needs a waft of cig smoke for atmosphere. Funny
about these classic shots - no matter how accustomed we get to them,
they still evoke a sense of emotion, intimacy, excitement.  I'd still
clone out the hair on the bass player's arm in the scan, if it were
me.

>        jIMMY Harris - More Fish Stories

Seems like the tale teller is facing away from the viewer, but I
can't quite tell for sure.  Too many birds floating about.  Not real
sharp.  Interesting how their bodies are in the water but the bottom
edges of their wings look like they're above the water level.  I
mentally tried cropping just the bird with the wings outstretched and
the two on either side, but there wasn't a sense of them interacting,
so it didn't support the title.

>        Marilyn Dalrymple - Hey!  What's goin' on back there?

Really beautiful.  It's a shame about the yellow patch on the leg but
torties are that way.  But anyway, I like the imbalance, even the
ignored toy.

>        Emily L. Ferguson - Nobska at dawn

It was a boring sunrise and although the pic looked good on the light
table and is a good cover shot for the local lifestyle mag, but it
still looks boring to me in the gallery.

>        Alan P. Hayes - Downpour

Aarg.  Turn the wipers on.  Scarey.  Lotta rain there.

I wonder how to get the sunstars in the oncoming car when you're
driving and trying to keep the horizon level and it's dark and
raining like that.  Really fast film I guess...

>        Greg Fraser - Downpour

My favorite plums - how dare they not pick them all!  I'll come out
and can them for them.  I'd like some more contrast in the rendition,
however.  And the selective focus is OK too, maybe a bit more of the
spoilage would have balanced the weight of the clump of plums.

>        Peeter Vissak - Forkload

I love the subtlety of this.  I'm not convinced by the dark trees on
the right and I'm wondering why the stuff is being burned, but the
tender bit of warmth in the center is very appealing.

>        Andrew Fildes - Sven

Not my idea of a happy distortion of the Sven's face, to me.  If I'd
done that I sure wouldn't show it to the model!

>        Christopher Strevens - Putting on the agony

Well, the composition is quite graceful to me.  You had rain all
summer so maybe the limited palette is accurate, too.  It's nice to
see the mother so relaxed with the child, too but kinda sad not to
see how she feels about the child in her face.  Somehow I sense that
she withheld her face because of the photographer's attitude towards
her, but maybe I'm off about that.

>        Richard Cooper -

Interesting crop there.  Was this 35mm?  I think I'd like to see the
standard ratio because it would reinforce all the horizontal lines.
But then I'd like to see them horizontal too, and not tending
downward to the left side.  I do like the corner on the left side - a
sense of direction.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com  508-563-6822