Re: digital camera question

"Bright, Christy [IBD]" <christy.bright@citigroup.com> writes:

> Wow, Christiane, what an incredible resource you are! I'll be printing this
> out and taking it with me to B&H. The lag time on the shutter will take some
> getting used to, but it sounds like that's almost impossible to avoid with
> digital unless you're willing to spend 2 grand. The extreme depth of field
> is my other big concern. Is there no way around this? Do digital cameras
> take multiple lenses the way film cameras do? Forgive my ignorance if this
> is a silly question - I really have no experience in digital (which I'm sure
> is obvious).

Currently, I'd say that the $1k difference between a G2 and a digital
SLR is such that for anybody working commercially, there was no way to
justify the G2.  At least if you already have either Nikon or Canon EF
lenses already, so you could buy something using the same lenses and
have a relatively full lineup right away.

The depth of field problem is based on the sensor size -- so it will
be solved in the Kodak DCS 14n, and in the Canon full-frame one whose
model number I forget immediately (but the Kodak, at least, is $4k
rather than $2k).  (Okay, the depth of field problem is based on the
lens focal length, but you select that based on the angle of view, so
the sensor size is actually the variable between different cameras).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net