Further Reviews

><javascript:{}>jIMMY Harris

But not one outstretched set of wings!  And what's that noise all
around the photo?  It's kinda ugly and if there's a connection
between it and the subject I'm missing it.

Some despeckling might help, more likely some degaussing.

The whole concept might come together better as a panoramic.

><javascript:{}>Christopher Strevens

Lots of possible messages here.  Filling the brick space with more
legs might have accentuated the herd behavior, intensifying the color
might have accentuated the diversity.  I'm not certain I'd go in
either direction, but the muted tones of this presentation aren't
sending me any particular message this week.

>  <javascript:{}>Elson T. Elizaga

Interesting outstretched hand at the bottom of the stairs.  Did the
kid decline to shake?  Trying to imagine having to ascend those
stairs to get to the rave club or rock concert.

><javascript:{}>King/Arthur

Well, I'm fussy.  I wouldn't have submitted the image without
cropping off the evidence of un-levelness at the top.  I wonder
whether changing the angle of view might have brought a little more
sense of being compelled homeword to the image.  As it is it's just
going down the "street" at PlyPlant to me.  I suppose that's
aggravated by the fact that I know "home" isn't there for the star
character.

><javascript:{}>Emily L. Ferguson

Reality vs. what the boss-film gives us when we don't know enough.
Yeah, I'd like to add in a bit more color and desatting turns out not
to be the best way to save the light.  And, of course, the light was
whitish yellow in the original situation, but it was incandescent, so
it came out yellow.  I was prepared to accept that part.

And yes, I like the blue better, too.

John Mason

Well, on my monitor it's really not blue, even in the shadow.  And
I'm not certain that the shadow makes any point at all, or that the
background building isn't vastly more interesting to me than the
trunk/boot of a car of any sort.

D. L. Shipman

OK.  Reproductive organs of some unnamed flower.  Nice and sharp,
nice detail on the furry parts.  No evidence of the parts of the
flower that attract the fertilizing vehicle, unless they were green.
Some sort of change of angle might have introduced something about
attractiveness to the bugs here.  Looks a little like the human male
organ right immediately after it's peaked at the party.  And it's
always more interesting before the peak when it's tending upward.
The same might apply to this organ.

Jim Snarski

OK.  Pretty yellow phal.  Got any depth?  Or is it flat.  Well Phals
aren't flat and, personally I like a little shadow in there to show
just how unflat they are.  But this is a pretty good catalog shot.

Dan Mitchell

Well, to me this is an example of something I come across often and
struggle to compose.  I like your solution, excising nearly all the
irrelevant info, and the color looks very nice, just like what I'd
expect such a structure would be in a plaza or mall.   There is
something literal in the photo, however.  I recall some pix where
some items have been pushed into juxtaposition by the angle of the
viewpoint and a sense of humor or pathos is accentuated by the angle.
An interesting situation to work.

Jeff Spirer

Great texture, interesting distortion of the bridge buttress shape by
the flash drop-off, kinda harsh contrast makes the moment somewhat
threatening, does the graffiti have anything to do with the city?  Or
the rock band?  (I think there's a rock band called Chicago, but I'm
into baroque music so I'm not totally up to date on this.....)

Richard Cooper

Too much other data, faces not prominent enough for the title.  Maybe
making it into a panoramic of the faces would have helped, waiting
for the one watching the photographer to align itself with the others
might have helped too.  I just don't believe in the trees here.
Maybe the subject drives me to look for its realization and I'd find
it more convincing without all the excess data, but with all that
green I can't even see the photo as a classic reenactment photo.

Hope you all will continue the reviews.  We don't stand to learn much
without them, although the chit chat is fun.  You Massachusettsians,
let's get together some time.  I half expected to encounter some of
you on the Zakim bridge yesterday.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com  508-563-6822