Re:digital camera advice - Leica or other pro compacts

  Hi, nod, sorry to hear about the problem with your leg. The Leica Digilux 1 has received positive reviews from what I read. It lacks a
swing-out LCD panel, a feature that many people find eminently useful.

 The 35mm equivalent of its 7-21mm zoom is 33-100mm. If you find wides useful in that price range, the only camera that goes to 28mm equivalent is the Nikon Coolpix 5000. It also has  Nikon add-on lenses that take it down to 19mm,  goes to 5 mp, has full Matrix
metering, and uses the SB28DX Nikon flash.

  Tina Manley has been using the Digilux, and reports liking it. BTW, I see our own Tina will be one of the featured photogs at a Leica workshop. Congratulations !

    Of course, there's the Canon G3 soon to be revealed
at Photokina, and you may want to wait a bit to see what that is like.

  Wishing you a full and speedy recovery,
                --- Luis