Bob...

From: "Steve Hodges" <shodges@wantree.com.au>

Bob Blakely wrote:

> Well, there's the math. Further my own experience says no.
>
>[Burp!]

Well I did the maths, and you're right Bob.  Trust your experience.

Your numerical example was the spur I needed to redo the maths.  Even
going back to the book, it's still possible to read it as suggesting
that DOF is the same, but on careful re-reading, and analysis of the
equations shows my error.

Now, my practical experience has always been of incresed DOF with a
wider lens, but obviously this reduces on enlargement.

I've also seen examples of negs being blown up to demonstrate the same
perspective at different focal lengths.  Invariably these have a
different point of focus due to the difficulty of focussing a wide angle
lens as compared with a long lens.

In fact if I had ever been bothered to read to the end of the section in
my favorite reference I would have seen:

"...the depth of field will be seen to remain essentially constant when
the actual diameter of the aperture of the lens remains unaltered.  Thus
combinations of 100 mm at f/11, 50 mm at f/5.6, and 25 mm at f/2.8, all
have the same depth of field for a fixed viewpoint."

And I've verified this mathematically, *and* found an error in the
formulae printed in the 8th edition of Jacobson, Ray, & Attridge!

Sorry Bob, Ýzzet, et al.

Steve

p.s. The maths as far as it went in my previous tome was correct.  The
fact that it dealt with only a single ray meant that issues of DOF were
glossed over.  Thus the conclusion number 1 should exclude DOF.