Re: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

Gregory Fraser <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> writes:

> Pardon my interruption but I think what Dave is talking about is
> compression as opposed to perspective. The vertical and horizontal
> placement of objects does not change from one focal length to
> another however the relative size of objects does change with focal
> length as does the apparent depth of the image. Doesn't it to you?

  You are pardoned, and that is a gallant attempt to save Dave from
where he is at on this,  but you are also wrong. "Compression" is an artifact of perspective, nothing more. In time, you will learn to see
it with the naked eye, before hoisting the camera up. The lesson of the viewing frame is a very valuable one, even if it looks silly.

     -- Luis