Re:Re: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

Karl elucidated thusly --

>Dave wrote "Changing focal length alone can definitely alter the >relationship between objects as seen in your view finder.  This will be >readily apparent if you spend a moment with a zoom lens"
>..which is really not right, but I don't mean to rip into Dave for saying >this - the reality IS difficult to comprehend.

   It is.  Most photographers simply do  not realize that they are moving back or looking at more distant objects when they use longer lenses. At one time, I thought the same thing too.

>_Apparent_  compression occurs in the shot taken with the longer >lens because the field of view is smaller, the frame tighter.  >_Apparent_  expansion occurs with the wider lens (taken closer) as >the field of view is larger.

To expand (gag) on this... either occurs because the relative distances of of each of the objects in the scene to the POV. When looking far away, the differences between 1500, 1503, 1505 and 1507 feet are small. When you slap on your trusty 17, then there are things that are 3 feet to 1507 feet in your finder. Hello, "expansion."

  Luis