Digital Cameras-Equiv. focal length revisited

Hi all,

We all know that focal lengths of digital cameras are given as 35 mm.
equivalent focal length due to small size of the ccds. I have seen in
lots of places, that this is explained as "this is the focal length that
gives the same magnification as a 35 mm. camera".

I may be missing something but I think that the only equivalency is in
relation to the field of view, not magnification.

Can anybody comment on that?

Thanks,

izzet