Attention all dinosaurs ... (Kodak Ultra III RA4 paper)

All you digital nuts can delete this note without going any further!

For those who still roll their own, however:  After a number of years of
using stricly Fuji "crystal archive" RA4 paper, I just tried a box of Kodak
Ultra III.  I made about 25 trial prints this week.  I must say that I was
pleasantly surprised!

Compared with the Fuji:

1) Much more neutral whites and blacks.  Whites are really white (well,
nearly so, even on the densitomiter), and the blacks are really black.

2) Contrast is "half a grade" to "one grade" greater than the Fuji.

3) Overall saturation is considerably greater than the Fuji, across all
colors.  From a decent negative, you get a print which will remind you a lot
of a cibachrome.  Yet, you can still get delicacy with careful exposure.

4) Very noticeable improvement in shadow detail (and "depth" of shadow
detail).  No mushiness in the dark tones.

5) Much "cleaner" reds and pastels; easier (for some reason!?) to balance
out color casts.  Greens are much less yellow-biased; always a problem for
me with the Fuji.

6) I bought the "glossy" surface.  It is glossy, but "not quite" as glossy
as the Fuji; it has a very slight texture.  I like it.

7) The paper base is slightly heavier.

8) It's pretty fast -- it has almost identical paper speed with the Fuji.

Downsides:

1) It's VERY MUCH fussier about the chemicals than the Fuji.  The Fuji
doesn't care very much if you just ran 5 prints in 6 oz of developer.  The
Kodak does care, a lot.  Replenishment, time, and temperature matter more
than with the Fuji.  You'll use about 2x the net amount of chemical (if
you're a miser, like me) with this paper than you would with the Fuji.

2) It's biased about +10 or +12 units cyan from printing the same negative
on Fuji; hardly a huge difference.

For what it's worth.  I've now produced a few of very noticeably clean and
striking display prints....

Don Feinberg
ducque@mindspring.com