Re: Epson Scanner

Russ:

I use an Epson Perfection 1640SU Photo to scan my B&W 6 x 7 negs at 1600
DPI (max). It gives me about a 42 meg file uncompressed scanned in RGB mode
at max resolution. It makes quite suitable 13 x 19 images with my Epson
1280. I scan in RGB mode in case I want to "sepia" tone or colorize the
image. I'm sure a dedicated film scanner would have a better dynamic range,
but the Epson suits my purposes just fine for now at about 1/10th of the
cost. I believe the current model is now the 1650 PHOTO which still should
be in your price range. The standard version has an optional transparency
adapter ($100). the  PHOTO version comes with the transparency adapter that
takes strips of 35mm, med format, up to 4 x 5 sheet film or standard
mounted transparencies.

Byron Ellis
Ellis Photography