Re: ink, paper longevity

Angi Turnpaugh <shutterbug123@hotmail.com> writes:

> "It varies by paper type. PGPP has a 90-100 year life with the new pig inks
> although the mattes paper have a much shorter life than with the
> set."
>
> Ok, my question is, how can we possibly know this with certainty??  I
> don't know that I would trust wedding photos to this.....the
> technology just hasn't been around long enough to know for certain.

We can't know it with certainty.  That's easy.

By the time we *do* know it with certainty, the technology will be
obsolete to the point where you can't even buy the materials.  This
has been true for much of photography for much of its history.  It's
only relatively recently that we've had even *one* full-length test
for the believed longevity of silver-gelatin B&W film and paper, for
example.

I think there *might* be good cause to believe that some inkjet
processes were now more permanent than most RA4 paper -- recognizing
that both numbers are estimates, not measurements.  Maybe.  The
estimates, at least, point that way, and remember that *both* numbers
are based on similar accelerated testing methods.

I'm pretty sure that the betting odds favor fiber-base silver-gelatin
B&W being more permanent than inkjet at the moment.  But it might not
be *true* anyway.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net