wedding photo session report

well, for those that are interested...

it came out fine! and it was the most relaxed session ever!
(excluding the scorching church heat due to that much wattage and hot
meditteranean summer)

so...i got there a bit earlier, and got some snapshots of the groom waiting
his relatives etc.

then the pro came with the bride, and he showed why he deserves the title.
he was really effective in puting the couple and relatives in all the right
poses etc, and he performed his duties with ease...

inside the church the general layout showed me what i should do. there was a
spot stand at 4-5 o'clock facing the couple, along with flower stands &
barely enough room for 2 persons (camera man and pro). so i opted for a 7-8
o'clock position although that made it a bit hard for me due to the strong
spot coming the other way.

i was using a shutter priority mode (the only one that works with the screw
mount 80-200 lense), and i was 4-6 yards away. (the latter a bit long for an
f/8 aperture, since GN22/6=f/4 or f/5,6 to maintain the shadows a
bit)(closer shots before and after the ceremony were taken at f/11)mayny
tahnks to the fellow member that explained that only the aperture regulates
the flash fill in)
i guess i'll wait to see what will come out...

also, i let the pro take all the formal shots, rarely got to his firing
position, and i chose to shoot portraits mainly, having a really handsome
groom, brother of the groom, beautiful bride to work with, and a "lolita"
bride's maid that was posing for me!

at a certain time one of the bride's maids droped the flower petals off the
basket she was holding, and the 3 of them started pickin'them up, leaving a
half circle open for me...i banged away with 3 shots, but...
i did lose the best shot (due to manual zoom and indecissiveness).
it was the exact moment the girl with the basket bends over looking at the
fallen petals, and giving a big oooh! face. perfect shot, would make her
mother happy.

the night progressed with the reception taking place, at the garden of a
hotel, with a big industrial grade tungsteen light litting up all the
garden, teamed with torches all around the grass...i got some shots of
friends, and 2 good posed ones of my friend and a girl they tend to rub body
parts with, but....
it took only minutes for the couple to come, cut the cake and start dancing
under a drizzle which became a pouring rain, effectively ruining the night,
which was carried inside...

it was nervebreaking for the pro too, but i had the chance to talk to him,
ensuring i did not "flashed" his shot over with my unit. there i had the
chance to handle his Leica reflex, and much to my suprise it was a manual
focus one, but...with TTL flash metering! wow!, and poor me making
calculations...

latter on, i asked permission to shoot along the pro at the formal shots the
couple took, him making the poses, me shooting after him from almost the
same position, or another one...he was really helpful and understanding...
and the couple was flettened by my present, thanks to my friend always
speaking for my photo abilities...guess i'll have to live up to their
expectations...

BTW, i did ask the bride to take a pose that would shed the light of a warm
bulb at the area of her left eye, effectively trying for the "Rembrant"
lighting that is decribed in PF's 'pdf files archive...
see what come out...

over all i enjoyed it, hope it the shot turn out to be good too...
that was all folks, kostas

so... no matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the
other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/home.htm
'COS SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER WITH CLENCHED TEETH!