Re: photographer's block

 ...more rantings...

   Referring to this period as a "plateau" in the growth curve,
here's things to do while you're there:

   It's a great time to ask questions. Not so much the destructive ones,
   (as in "am I finished ?") but probing ones, as in "why do I do this,
   as opposed to anything else ?". Where have I been ? Who am I as a
   photographer (this time) ?
                              Ask

   Give yourself a retrospective of your work. Remember the rise of
   the growth curve, and believe that the next part of the "S" is ahead.
   Work has a life of its own. Be internally quiet while looking at
   your work, have some non-intrusive music on, and let the work
   talk to you. Do not question or doubt this.

        The work itself will tell you where it wants to go.
                            Listen

   This "S" curve thing *is* scary, because you are a snake
   shedding its skin, in that a part of you has to die, and be
   left behind in order for you to be born anew (and yes, I know
   this part sounds like a tantric tent revival:). This is critical,
   and without it nothing else will happen. Let yourself go. The
   zigs and zags of the "S", like all life transitions, can be stressful
   and bring one pain. Think of your artistic growth as a series
   of small lives -- and deaths -- lived within the context of your
   lifespan.
                 Leave part of yourself behind

   If the rising part of the curve involves output, it only follows
   that the plateau might involve input. Look homeward, angels.
   It's time for new authors, different music, faces, places,
   books, attitude, simple cameras, and more.
                       Feed your heart

   Like a bride, borrow something new, something old, something blue,
   and loan something out, too. It's a way to live out the metaphor
   of exchange, which is life itself. Bring in something alien into
   your life. Allow something familiar to leave your hands.
                         Open a door

   The plateau can seem arid, hot, lifeless, and is a trial (it's all
   a trial, but the excitement sometimes blurs that).
   Eat well, exercise yourself hard, drink water, etc.
   Tighten up physically. Work on your discipline.
                         Get strong

   There's lots to do while "nothing" is going on. Get cameras CLA'd.
   Tend to the things that have been passing you by. Sometimes there
   are keys to the future there. Organize your work area, hardware.
   If you're in a commercial slum, approach potential clients, market
   and promote yourself.
                       Maintain Momentum

   Sometimes when we are about to fall, we forget that we have loving
   arms that will catch us, our support system. Let yourself fall into
   them. They are not there by concidence, IMO. Someone or many people
   in your support system (perhaps a mentor ?) can be your guide(s).
   in this passage.
                    Let your midwife find you

     Maybe more later...
      --- Luis