From: "luis" <chilled_delirium@mailstation.com>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@ase-listmail.rit.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 4:16 AM
Subject: Re:RE: Gallery Impressions on 13 August 2002

> > > From: Achal Pashine [mailto:achal@stanford.edu]
> > >
> > > Hi Greg,
> > > I feel awkward about the arrangement of the bottles too, and
> > > most of my
> > > still life attempts suck! (thanks for being open about it).
>
>   Greggie concurs---
>
> >My own attempts at arranging still lifes have led me to the conclusion
>that it far, far easier to spot a good arrangement than to make one. >I've
never been able to make one. Hey maybe that's the way its done. >You take a
bunch of crap and repeatedly throw it on a table until you >come up with a
good arrangement. <snipped insanities>

>     It is difficult, and Greggie is right: It often helps to introduce an
element of chance in your composition. It also helps if you feel something
about the objects being photographed. For example,
> Achal's bottles....I just didn't see anything that spoke to me of feeling
> or passion there. It was like a technical exercise. Now, make one
> of those  bottles one you consumed on your wedding night, another
> the one drank the last time you saw a friend, or the day you went sober
(rhetorically speaking) and I think you'll see the bottles differently. If
you picked them up in the alley, then think DESIGN.