Dealing with long negatives

Hi Greg,

> I noticed that you had forced air cooling on your enlarger. Even so, a 2 hour
exposure must be quite harsh on the enlarger and bulb. Not to mention the
negative passing through the warping holder. Was there lots of creaking and
popping of metal?

The enlarger head does get quite hot and there is some heat cause metal fatigue
which generally means one runs the risk of losing the negative and so I have
not made many enlargements to be sure. Once I made one of a local avenue, mile
long, that I photographed with a stip camera mounted in an old massive Olds
with police escort so that the car would not have to stop along the way. The
negative was about 20 feet long ... enlarged only 5X the length of the print
was 100 feet.

> The enlarger I saw on the internet looked like it was far less complicated
and appeared to be designed for much shorter negatives.

Hmmm ... I guess there are many variations on the theme but generally either
the film remains stationary or it moves. For _REALLY_ long and large aspect
ratio enlargements I believe the film must move. I suppose one could maybe keep
the film and paper still and move the lens and light source and project onto
the paper by way of a mirror ... hmmm. The Air Force's model moved the film and
the paper but over drums of precalculated diameter, etc.

Alan should be able to give us more details. I have not heard what he's been up
to lately other than his experiments with tilted camera.

cheerio,
andy