Re: I Sold My First Photo!!! (LINK) David Dyer-Bennet

Brian Blankenship <brian@bngraphics.com> writes:

> At 03:50 PM 8/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Brian Blankenship <brian@bngraphics.com> writes:

> > > The page is using java, java protects my copyrights, JAVA BE MY SHIELD!!
> >
> >So, would you like me to email you a copy of your images at the full
> >screen resolution I see them at?  It'd be no trouble, really.
> >
> >Since the "protection" you're using doesn't interfere with my viewing
> >them in any of the browsers I've tried (seems to be a well-written
> >applet), I don't have any *complaints* about it.  But it's trivial to
> >bypass.

> I can be an asshole to.
>
> David Dyer-Bennet, by your own admission you are in violation of my copyright.

Where?  I said I *could*, not that I *had*.  If you had asked me to
send it to you as a demonstration of the possibility, then it would
have been with your permission and hence not a copyright violation.
(While your applet does in fact place the files in the normal browser
cache, I hadn't checked that at the time, because even if a more
protective applet avoided that, I could still capture them off the
screen, so I could still capture them and send them to you.)

In fact, though, I do not believe that it's a violation of your
copyright to save for personal use one image off of a web page -- any
more than it would be to do that with one image out of a book.  That's
exactly the sort of thing "fair use" covers.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net