Re: processing old film

Thomas Fors <tom@fors.net> writes:

> A friend of mine at work just found an exposed 120 roll of Ilford FP4 that
> belonged to her father.  She says it's at least 10 years old.  I told her I
> would try and process it to see if we can get any images from it.  Should I
> process it as normal or is there anything I should do differently
> considering how long it has been sitting exposed like this?

Do you know anything about storage conditions?  Attic in a house in a
hot area, say?  Or in the freezer?

It might be worth considering "pushing" it a little to compensate for
loss of contrast as the film ages.  It might be worth adding some
anti-fog compounds to the developer, maybe.

For this film, where you have no idea what the pictures are (in
particular, if they're like each other or not), I'm sorry to say that
a "clip-test" probably doesn't help any (sacrificing the first few
frames, developing them individually as tests, and then applying what
you decide is best to the remainder of the roll).  If you have reason
to believe the pictures *are* like each other, sacrificing the first
few can often produce considerably better results on the rest of the
roll.  Of course in 120 the "first few" is a much bigger percentage of
the total than in 35mm anyway.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net