Re: Powerfull flash

>   I have an assigment for next month to shot around 50 members of a kannel
> club with their beloved dogs in their living room

eeek! they either have a much bigger living room than I or they are very small people! :-)

>... I was visiting some
> members and concluded that studio flash heads is out of question because
> itīs too big take too much space ... so I constructed myself an aluminum
> flash stand connected to the tripod where I can control the position and
> height of two flash heads ... as soon as I have a Minolta IVF and imagined
> to use two old, cheap but powerfull flash heads with a homemade hazy box
> (made with translucent paper and cardboard) ...
>   I tested some GN 50 meters ISO 100 flash but the output was not enouth for
> a lot of situations ... so I concluded I need two flash heads with at least
> GN 150 meters ISO 100 to have a studio light effect with the mobility of the
> camera flash heads.

might I suggest that you investigate using a number of metz 60's and take a few things
into account (forgive me if I'm restating the obvious).  First thing is to make sure that
the flash heads are not too far from the subjects, as aperture x distance = GN, you can
see that the further the flash units are from the subject, the more the aperture must be
opened to account for the reduction in light.  Also, as the light falls off dramatically
with distance you'll have to position your subjects so an even amount of light falls on
all of them - people further away will be illuminated less than the people at the front.

One way to overcome a lot of these problems is to bounce the light from the roof, but it
depends on the shape of the room, the amount of light the roof absorbs, the height of the
ceiling and the size of the room.. I suspect you've taken these things into account (I'm
assuming large room rather than small people)  so I guess you DO need a lot of light.

this sounds like a difficult lighting issue, maybe someone with more experience of
interior lighting could jump in here with a few suggestions?

karl
(6  metz-60's ;-)