PF exhibits of 2002-07-27

The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated JUL-27-02.
Work on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html includes:

I was going to review the gallery with only one word per shot ... but
that takes even more thought.
Here are some comments:  not a review, too stressed for that ...

>               Christiane Roh - Plage de Rolle, June 2002
Unusual subject.

Well balanced composition

Pity there is no space betwee the woman's hand and the post.
and that the two girls overlap so much

Today only a woman would dare take this shot.

>               Roderick Chen - Splash
Fun

Great use of dog to break the symmetry.

I'm feeling I want a different perspective though, lowering the camera
to make the jumper clear the (central) horizon.  But if you did maybe
he would just look pasted on.

>               David Small -
Powerful image

Great use of someone else's work (the poster) but shot in this way and
shown with this contrast it takes a whole new meaning.

Where are her toes?  Good lead in but painfull cropped.
Would it look better if the people were between her legs?

>               Motti Heller -
Simple

Good shot with little clutter, but some clutter.
Th black object is fine but the two light objects along the top of the
dune (?) don't add.

>               John Mason - Interior, TOADS on Main Street,
Charlottesville
Nice and simple.

I like this for what it is.  Good use of colour and shapes.  Nothing
that could be removed or added to make it better.

Pictures like this work best as part of a series ... which I belive
this one id.

>               Jeff Spirer - Kiss This
Different

Maybe this style of photography is an acquired taste I have yet to
acquire.
Mostly it is OK but I can't get to love the lack of separation between
the shadow-clutter around her haid and her hair.

>               Veli Cigirgan -
Noon?

Nothing to take away but I'm feeling there is more detail in your shot
than it is possible to cram into 131000 pixels.
In a print you could no doubt give some texture to the wooden window,
here even the texture of the wall fails to come across.

>               Ken Sinclair - Alberta Wild Rose
Beautiful

Good use of wide aperture.  Focus on rim of petal and droplets on leaf
works well.

No distractions in background.  Always wonder if cropping leaf to
right is good idea.  Would it be more self contained if that leaf was
complete?

>               Richard Cooper - The Blue Line
Sad

Overgrown schoolkids dressed up to play soldiers?
Celebrating what?  Civil war?

Well taken shot though:  the three guys at the front hold the eye.
The bloke behind seens to have something in his. Could you clone it
out?

>               Christopher Strevens - Banded Snail
Almost

The twig ours side of the snail running to bottom left being so far
out of focus spoils this.
It looks like the snail was going nowhere so I wonder if this was the
best that could be done.

Great bokeh though.

>               jIMMY Harris - ORION
Curious

Trying to get my mind round the technical trickery of this.
I'll ask my amateur astronomer colleague what he thinks!

Are you saying the lens was open for the whole 45 min or a series of
exposures at increasing apperture?
If it was in focus the aperure should just make them brighter as stars
are as close to infinity as we can get really.

The 8-sec on the star at the end suggests this was a series of short
exposures?

>               Dan Mitchell - Lavender
Summer

Very nice shot.
Lovely muted tones on the lavender:  much better than if they had been
shown in full sunlight.
If the picture has a flaw, the bright satruated hedge (?) in the
cackground pulls the eye away.
I see why you did not crop it, but could you selectively tone it down
in PS (unless that compromises your foundview integrity)

Bob