Re: TIPA & MTF lense tests

Well, I am tempted to answer both yes and no ;-)

Lars Kjellberg, who runs Photodo, cooperates with a lab that makes the
MTF measurements, and they are very competent and well equiped.  Still,
they only measure one single specimen of each lens, so you have no idea
of the variability.  Also, they normally measure only at infinity.

Besides, choosing between lenses by MTF only is analogous to choosing a
stereo amplifier from frequency response only.  Good sound, and good
imaging, is much more complex than that.

Also, mechanical quality and ruggedness is not commented on at all in
the Photodo tests.  Sigma lenses, esp the cheaper ones, are reputed to
be rather fragile.

I surely check Photodo if I consider a new purchase, but also some
discussion forums like www.photo.net.  A gold mine is
http://www.photozone.de/ that runs extensive surveys with feedback from
owners and users of most lenses on both optical and mechanical
performance.

Per