Re[2]: digital infrared

Hello Phil, Wednesday, July 17, 2002, 2:58:25 PM, you wrote:
PV> I'm interested in the digital IR discussion.  I apparently missed
PV> earlier discussions, so I'm completely in the dark about how it works.
PV> Could someone elaborate.  Surely there is more to it than just filters.
PV> Are some digital CCDs more sensitive to IR than others?

All CCD's are inherently sensitive to near infrared. The hot filter in
front of the CCD is supposed to filter out all the infrared radiation
while passing through only visible spectrum. Fortunately the hot
mirror design is not efficient enough, so it does let through some
amount of infrared.

Your Fuji S1 will work fine with an infrared filter - I've seen
several IR shots done with it. Just put on the IR filter and start
shooting :)

One advantage the Sony F707 has is that it has a 'nightshot' mode
where the hot mirror is moved away from the CCD thus allowing all
infrared to pass to the imager. Unfortunately Sony succumbed to the
hype of couple years ago of a possibility of 'x-raying', i.e. 'seeing
through' certain kinds of cloth, so they disabled any manual
adjustments in the nightshot mode and limited the shortest exposure to
1/60 sec at fully open aperture - this still permits hand-held IR
shots.
This results in a less than perfect setup of course, but it can be
easily overcome by adding the infrared and proper neutral density
filters to bring the light level down.

Digital infrared (with regular digicams that have the hot mirror) is a
tripod-based work with exposures of around 1-2 seconds - this varies
wildly for the aperture and light levels of course.

The filters you can use also vary wildly in price - 40$ for 87 or 87c
at Harrison and Harrison to 200+ for some Hoya filters. Ebay sometimes
has a good deal on IR filters (as long as nobody else wants the same
lot :), B&H photo has usually some filters in stock, but seems that
58mm or larger filters are on special order or out of stock.

I can't wait till the next weekend to get out and try some IR
portraits...

--
Best regards,
 Victor                            mailto:vrem@swbell.net