Who was Roy De Carava - chopped liver?

Guys,

I read the NYT article to see what the fuss is about. Kozloff certainly
deserves serious negative criticism for his essentialism. That street
photography is a Jewish thang is so clearly absurd.  I agree with Times
writer Woodward that a more interesting and legitmate approach would be to
examine the work of all kinds of marginalized people. Who was doing
tight-ass, Modernist salon art and who wasn't?

The following quote is from Bystander - A History of Street Photography by
Westerbeck & Meyerowitz:

***********
Of all the Street photographers who have worked in New York, from Riis to
Weegee and Model, from Robert Frank and William Klein to Garry Winogrand,
the only one whose pictures don t seem alienated is Roy DeCarava. There is a
certain irony in this, since DeCarava, a black man, might have had better
reason than anybody else to feel dispossessed, bitter, and cynical. He doesn
t feel that way, because he is the one photographer who is truly at home in
the city, or at least in the part of it where he photographs, Harlem. He was
born there in 1919, in Harlem Hospital, and has stayed in the neighborhood
all his life. DeCarava is such an anomaly that for once comparison to a
Parisian seems appropriate. He has found in New York the appealing
working-class atmosphere that we think of as belonging only to the ban lieux
of Paris. He is our American Doisneau.

AZ

Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.
http://www.panoramacamera.us