Re: PF exhibits on 06-JUL-02

At 09:37 PM 7/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>r rights:
>
>>I might suggest that you find works by a photographer
>
>>named Lewis Baltz stunning.
>
>Thanks for the name.  I'll track him down.  I'm very
>much in the steal-from-your-betters mode these days.
>
>>Do you like Eggleston?
>
>Yes and no.  Some images move me very much (loneliness
>and longing).  Many leave me wondering why I don't get
>it (as hard as I try, I sometimes can't see anything
>more than bad snapshots).  I'd much appreciate it if
>someone can help me see what he's up to.
>
>--John
>

>=====
>J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia
>New Pics, Greg Howard Band at Starr Hill Music Hall:
>http://www.greghoward.com/sights/stills/starrhill/

John,

Eggleston is an acquired taste. I kind of have a like/hate feeling for his
work too.  Having read a couple interviews (and considered the praise given
him by many) I have more respect for what he is out to do.  Simply put he
claims to be interested in making a good looking formal image and not much
interested in what it is about. Some find his color and formal structure
elegant. I tend to look for and find more in pictures and am bewildered by
photos that are, or claim to be, only about formal matters.

AZ

Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.
http://www.panoramacamera.us
         or