Re: copyright cont.

Angi Turnpaugh <shutterbug123@hotmail.com> writes:

> Brian wrote:
> "(a) How much you charge for the 4x6 prints? (including quantity
> discounts if any)
>
> $5 ea. (plus tax) no discounts for quantity...did research and found this to
> be the "going rate" for the area and quite frankly, what these people are
> used to paying.  ...

Hmm. Not exactly expensive, (presumably these are machine prints?) but
then, if you can sell plenty you can presumably make the whole thing
worthwhile. I'm guessing that the average customer buys 1.something
copies of each print?

> "(b) How much you would charge to give the person a suitable digital
> image to put on their website"
>
> Honestly..I have absolutely no idea.  Suggestions?

Ah, well that's a key to the problem. Here are some competing views:

(a) Each print sold is viewed by an average of 9 people, on 4.7
occasions each: thus I am selling 42.3 viewings for $5 - approx. cost
10 cpv (cents-per-view). If someone puts my image on their website, it
is not inconceivable that 100,000 people will view it. Therefore I
should charge 10c x 100,000 = $10,000.

(b) Each image sold gives me (guess 1.2 copies...) $6. It doesn't make
any difference to me whether people view the image on a piece of paper
or a glass screen. Therefore I should charge $6.

So there's your answer: something between $6 and $10,000. Hmm, at
$10,000 you can assume the bookkeeping would be easy, at least.

Personally I would charge something more than the cost of a print, but
not more than about twice.  A lot depends on details: how do you
actually sell - do you get the prints ready the same day? If you are
showing people prints anyway, you could give them the print as part of
the deal.

But I think that the positive approach is to *market* the "images for
your web page" thing. Encourage people to put your images (with credit
of course) on their websites. Write some conditions: make it for
"personal" use - of course if someone is selling their own horse, that's
no problem; make a credit with a link to your website a condition;
*help* people do it with sample bits of html and stuff. The "free
advertising" is not "extra income", but it is advertising. And the
bottom line is that if what you charge is seen to be reasonable, people
will pay it, and wish you well. I think you should be able to *increase*
your income by doing this, whereas you will certainly not increase it by
lying back and dreaming of the century before last.

Note that if you charge per image released, the payment and delivery can
be decoupled, so you don't need a complicated e-commerce system. You can
simply make the image available on your server.

I'd be interested in other comments/views...

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/