Re: Advice sought on Hare-brained Scheme

If you stay off the New York Thruway between Albany and Buffalo, the
upper end of the Taconic Parkway (runs from near Albany down toward
NYC), US20 Pittsfield to Albany and of Pittsfield Mass. and environs
you should be safe from me. If I get the grant and the D1s and hit
the road I'll send out a warning :-)

Something pneumatic for shutter actuation might be good. This or an
electronic solution would also make mounting the cameras outside of
the cab more practical. Shutter lag is also an issue. Things happen
fast in this field of photography.

I've been thinking about where I would want to mount them on my small
pickup truck. Hood mount would be nice, since it would be closest to
the normal driver's viewpoint. Unfortunately there are likely to be
camouflage considerations. This really isn't the sort of thing I'd
want to have to explain to a state trooper... I don't think I have
quite enough truck to handle triple chromium bucking bronco hood
ornaments.

When I get the grant and the D1s I could consider switching over to
one of those truck with the six wheels. Till then the best bets seem
to be the roof of the cab, a la volunteer fireman light bars, though
I might have to become a volunteer fireman... or over the front
grille like fog lights. These options might make waterproof housings
possible.

I think multiple cameras are the way to go, though you might be right
about distant panoramas being possible by swinging the camera. The
real fun is liable to be in the close objects, of course!

Tell your wife not to worry about the camera getting dropped! It's
just not very important in the scheme of things. This is probably not
a form of photography, at least the free hand variant, to be adopted
by photographers with young children, regardless of the adequacy of
their life insurance coverage:-)

The main thing of course is not to get too into getting the shot-all
joking aside, the photography has to come second to safety. You don't
want to be thinking about the camera.It's just like learning to
drive, go slow and stay out of traffic at first. If you don't think
about the camera, it's not taking your attention away from the road.
The only weird thing is that now whenever I drive I find that I look
at the road photographically. That is a little odd...

I took a trip to Buffalo recently, 600 miles round trip on the NYS
Thruway, and took about 100 pictures. It was actually a decent way to
pass a portion of the time. And when this jacked up pickup truck with
two great big flags mounted in the bed blew past me at 90 mph, I just
let him go, even though it hurt! Not as much as trying to chase him
might have!