Re: stolen camera equipment

In a message dated 7/1/02 14:01:14, hrohit@hotmail.com writes:

<< Could any one know of any list other then the one on photo.net? Any
advice/suggestions??? >>

Rohit,

First, please accept my commiseration on your loss--it's a sickening feeling
when you find yourself in such a position.

I hope you reported the loss to the police and that your equipment was marked
with some form of personal identification such as name, Social Security
number, etc.

A co-worker of mine once had over $20,000 worth of photo equipment stolen
from his vehicle.  He got all of it back after someone answering an ad grew
suspicious and contacted my friend directly via the information inscribed on
the equipment.  Police set up a sting wherein the potential buyer was to meet
the thief to complete the transaction.  My friend got to be there and
actually photographed the arrest.  As it turned out the thief had actually
gotten one item repaired so it could be sold--my friend actually benefitted
in the long run!

What else can you do?  Call newpapers and alert them--someone may try to
place a classified ad (and watch the ads yourself).  Call the pawn shops
yourself--don't rely on the police to follow up there.  Watch E-Bay and other
auction sites for the equipment to show up.

Good luck,

Rich Mason
Photographer-at-Large
<A HREF="http://www.richmason.com/";>http://richmason.com</A>