Gallery Impressions for 24 June, 2002

Here are my impressions of the images in the gallery as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Before reading your description, I thought this was a
photo of a photo of a photo. Well I as close. You seem to be quite a fan of
manualy operated, air circulation devices. I admire your technical ability
and your creativeness. I know the cords are for mounting but I really like
the contrast of shape the straight lines and the triangles they form and the
gentle, organic shape of the fan. A+.

D.L. Shipman (What ever happened to whats her name...) - I like the way the
photoshop filter(?) makes the texture of the cactus look the same as the
silky underwear. I also like the way the woman's body leans towards the
plant and the line at the woman's waist points directly to the plant. I also
like the way the lighter skin tone or the woman's upper torso is repeated in
the bit of cheek showing at the bottom. Its a nice composition and an image
where more severe image minipulation works well.

Mario Filipe Alves Oliveira Pires (pinhole car) - What an unusual
(non-static) subject for a pinhole image. This overall bluriness and the
downward angle of the front of the car give a real sense of driving very
fast and with only one hand on the wheel. Wheeee! Did you include the Kodak
markings for an effect or did you just not bother to crop them off the scan?

Janine C. Hanson (Winter Wisteria, NY-2001) - I think the thing I like most
is how you got the foreground snow so much greyer than the background snow.
A little thing perhaps but I really like it for some reason. I also like the
contrast of the smooth undulating foreground and the mass of tangled
branches and twisted fence. For me the branches by themselves are too
crowded but the way you framed them they work very well. Very nice work.

King/Arthur (St. Pat's Parade) - Well.......this reminds me of a lowbrow
Canadian TV show called 'Ed the Sock'. I am at a loss for words beyond that
though.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Stone Pile) - At first didn't care much for this
but its simpicity has grown on me. The two upper stones resemble seals
sunning themselves. The pile, though static, leads my eye gently down and to
the left. The square format and the flat horizon that almost cuts the frame
in half, contrast perfectly with the round stones. The sky has just enough
color to differentiate it from the rocks without competing with them. There
is also a nice progression from the flat sky to the smooth textured upper
rocks to the coarse foreground rocks. This is a simple looking image but it
has many relationships and I enjoy that kind of crap.

Rich Mason - What perfect camera angle you have Rich and the carpenter that
built such a perfectly straight bridge also has my undying respect. The
highpoint for me is the railing shadow on the left. I have studied it for
quite a while and I can't tell why I like it though. Terrific sense of
depth. The drunk adds a very much needed contrast. Did it take you long to
position him in the image?

Dave Van Verst (Right Section-Ruby Falls) - The four things I like about
this image are the overall shape of the falls, the way the water fans out at
the bottom of the image, the way the water takes 2 paths and then joins
together as one stream at the top of the image and the amount of movement in
the water (not quite frozen but not silky smooth either). What I don't like
is the log jam in the middle of the image. It seems to cut the water flow
into 2 distinct sections and although it is quite natural and even helpful
in a stream crossing way, it does't help this image in my opinion.

Karen M. Powell (Blueberries in Waiting) - If nothing else you should get
rid of the two leaves bottom left that moved during your exposure. Now I
have tried to take this same photo myself but mine turnd out terrible. Yours
at least has a better composition than mine did. I like the placement of the
berries and the way the lighter green leaves (if only they would stay still)
form a loose frame for the darker blueberry leaves. I also like the amount
of DOF which allows you to make out detail farther back into the image
without it being distracting. There is good detail back there too but on my
monitor it appears that the extra exposure has washed out the berries.

Roderick Chen (Red) - This is the kind of image that makes me very sad. The
lighting is perfect.  The exposure is perfect.  The fruit is perfect. The
composition is perfect and I can't get any of those things perfect no matter
how hard I try. Of course I can always blame it on my grocer I guess. What
just blows me away about this is how Roderick has taken two more or less
identical items and by showing the stem of only one of them, they become
distinct changing this from a composition of 2 tomatos and a bowl to 1
tomato, another tomato and a bowl. Well that probably doesn't make any sense
but you can't deny it works beautifully.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos (Paloma) - She looks like her name sounds (to me
anyway), beautiful but approachable. I like the way her lips are not flaming
red as I expected. I also like the single, tiny catch light in her eyes yet
her face has no hard shadows. Yes, I admit I know just about nothing about
studio lighting but I really like this photo. Can you get me an autographed
photo?

Christiane Roh (Bourgogne, May 2002) - Back to film eh? I honestly can't
tell if I like the two flower composition. I do like the way the foreground
flower just barely touches the edges of the frame as if holding itself up. I
also love the smooth bokeh, the dark background and the way it is angled and
not horizontal. Blue has long been my favourite color is this blue is
marvelous. These flowers remind me of a stained glass window in a darkened
cathedral.

Thanks to all the contributors this week and thanks to the gallery staff for
keeping me amused week after week.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962