Re: which is the sharpest

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Murat Sen wrote:

> on 19/6/02 15:37, *-CHILLED DELIRIUM-* at sfunp@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us wrote:
> >
> > with a target, making sure it is squared up and checked the results
> > on slide film with a high-quality loupe ?
>
> yes i tested it, i have a commercial studio. in the studio i compare 50mm
> 1.1.4 and 105mm micro nikkor. 105mm is sharper than 50mm so decided to look
> for sharper alternative to 1.1.4:) ex.55mm micro nikkor?

   The 55/2.8 is supposedly sharper. I have a 55/3.5 and it's
a little sharper than the 50/1.4. The difference is slight, yet
there. The last metal-bodied manual-focus 50/1.8 AI is also extremely
sharp. These lenses are their sharpest at around f/4-f/5.6.

> > Are you focusing manually, or using AF ?
>
> manually:)

 One thing that will help is the use of a focusing magnifier. Nikon
makes one to fit the F3, I think it's a flip-away 6X unit.

> i use tripod

  What kind ?

> > Have you tried another 50/1.4 ?
>
> yes, my 50mm has no problem but i am working on very important project for
> me.this is my firs documentary project so i want to use the best and the
> sharpest lenses possible:) few days ago i read an article about lenses, that
> made me hasitated about my 1.1.4.

  I want you to know that many major magazine articles and large ads
have been shot with the 50/1.4's over the years.

  One other thing you might consider is picking up a medium-format
camera. Even a used old Rolleiflex (there, the sharpest is the 75 Planar)
will yield prints (of the same size as 35) infinitely sharper looking
than any 35mm. Since you are working on a tripod, any handling-speed
losses won't affect you.

                                    --- Luis