RE: "Magical thinking"

I can't begin to describe my dismay at the flippant, almost casual attitude
displayed here regarding the oxide of hydrogen, Dihydrogen Oxide. This is no
laughing matter, my friends: this is one of the most pervasive,
misunderstood, and dangerous substances known and yet we laugh about it!

Here are just a **few** of the **many** perils of Dihydrogen Oxide, taken
from the important website http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html:

"Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound,
also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium
Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the unstable radical
Hydroxide, the components of which are found in a number of caustic,
explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and
Ethyl Alcohol.

". Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
. Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
. Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically
life-threatening side-effects.
. DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
. Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
. Contributes to soil erosion.
. Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
. Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
. Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
. Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
. Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
. Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino
weather effect. "

And here is a section from the Material Safety Data Sheet for Dihydrogen
Monoxide:

"SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS
  KEEP CONTAINER TIGHTLY CLOSED. SUITABLE FOR ANY GENERAL CHEMICAL STORAGE
  AREA. DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE IS CONSIDERED A NON-REGULATED PRODUCT, BUT
  REACTS VIGOROUSLY WITH SOME MATERIALS. THESE INCLUDE SODIUM, POTASSIUM
  AND OTHER ALKALI METALS; ELEMENTAL FLUORINE; AND STRONG DEHYDRATING AGENTS
  SUCH AS SULFURIC ACID. IT FORMS EXPLOSIVE GASES WITH CALCIUM CARBIDE.
  AVOID CONTACT WITH ALL MATERIALS UNTIL INVESTIGATION SHOWS SUBSTANCE IS
  COMPATIBLE. EXPANDS SIGNIFICANTLY UPON FREEZING. DO NOT STORE IN RIGID
  CONTAINER AND PROTECT FROM FREEZING."

So let's all take a breather and think about being more serious about this
deadly substance!

Dan

(OK, for the humor-impaired, although every one of the above statements is
true, THIS IS A JOKE!)

has a more exacting descriptions than the other elements and compounds.