digitaly correcting color photos

well things are still not getting any better with my concert photography
efforts, so i do have to ask for your help.

first i have a question to ask...what is the reason i'm getting grainy,
grayed (underexposed ? )shots. one possibility could be that the light is
not enough anyway, but i still get photos like that even at shutter speeds
of 1/30 or faster. another possibility is the TTL meter screwing up in the
concerts' low light situations.for those reasons i usually overexpose 1
stop.
yet i heve been told that the real reason is that the meter reads a
basically black scene, and sets the exposure to bring that black frame to
18% gray.

a good example would be the my latest session, found at:
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/longliveconcertphotos.msnw?Page=1
all these color photos were corrected by tinkering with the brightness and
contrast of the frames to get an almost black background, and occasionaly
with increasing the contrast of the dominant color, or by decreasing the
color (just a slight hue actually ) of the background.

actually my ability to digitally manipulate a frame is to scan a print and
then use the Windows PhtoEditor (no Photoshop available).

So i need better tips coming from you, on how to effectively improve such
photos.

thjanx all beforehand, kostas