Re: Virus in image files ?

*-CHILLED DELIRIUM-* <sfunp@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us> writes:

>      There's a little article out today from AP on an announcement
> from McAfee Security about a "Perrun" virus, which has a component
> that infects Jpegs. The worry is not about this particular virus,
> because it needs an "extractor" component also present in the
> victim's hard drive. But they theorize that before long, other
> viruses will be designed to be totally coded into Jpegs, and
> like this one, invisible when you pull the image up.

I think this article is uninformed gibberish. The jpeg format has no
element of executability, and no internal means of "propagation". As far
as I could see this is simply a conventional virus, spread by
conventional virus-spreading tools like Micro$oft Outlook Express, that
happens to mess up jpeg files.

McAfee and their ilk have a large financial interest in keeping the
general public uninformed, scared, and happy shelling out money for
"protection". Rackets are used by tennis players.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/