From: owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu
[mailto:owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu]On Behalf Of Alan Zinn
Sent: 14 June 2002 16:34
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: copyright?

At 07:10 PM 6/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Alan Zinn <azinn@netbox.com> writes:
>
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> Can found-photos be protected by copyright?  I collect flea-market photos
of
>> old pictures and may want to own new copyrights.
>
>No.
>
>Once it's entered the public domain, it can't be copyrighted again.
>If it's *not* in the public domain, then somebody *already* owns the
>copyright.
>--
>David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
> John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net
>        Book log: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/Ouroboros/booknotes/

David,

The pictures I have in mind are late 19th-early 20th c. portraits and family
pics. Any copyright would have expired and modern copyright rules would not
apply, it seems to me. I'd like to have some control over their use if
possible. I'd like to show them to PF folks without expecting them to be
sucked into WWW public domain. If I arted or somehow altered them they would
be copyrightable.

Also I'm just curious about the matter in general. For example it seems a
private or museum collection should have some protection.

AZ
Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.
http://www.panoramacamera.us
         or