RE: Determining the amount of overexposure

I appreciate your confidence Steve and I believe I got these correct.

> To be as dark as that would mean quite a few stops overexposure (with
> normal film and development)

> Now, that would mean that the shutter was open for more than
> 1/2 sec or
> your aperture failed to stop down.  Either is possible (as is a
> combination).

In case I didn't mentin it, this shutter is a Wollensak pneumatic that has
only 2 speeds - T and the mystery speed that I get when I set the shutter at
1/100. I set the aperture manually so if it was not stopped down then it was
my fault. I can see me doing that on 1 or 2 shots but 4 is stretching it
even for me.

> The easy way to tell is to look closely at the neg with a
> loupe.  If the
> image you see is very streaky, but otherwise sharp (i.e. the
> streaks are
> sharp) then the problem is shutter speed.  If there is little evidence
> of motion blur, but whatever foreground and/or background features you
> can identify are out of focus, then the problem is aperture.

Well now the camera was on a tripod and there was no wind. I see no
streaking and from what I can tell the focus is OK throughout. Actually the
image on the ground glass is quite nice.

> > actually seeing the negatives which I didn't even bother fixing.
>
> Go and fix them this instant!
> Seriously, if you are curious then the negs will tell you
> quite a bit.
> Also, if they're not fixed then they *will* look much darker (but I
> expect you know this).

The negatives in question are in the garbage but it had been in fixer for 4
minutes when I checked it. I believe my processing of the negative was
probably at least half my problem. Improper agitation I must admit on this,
my day of shame.

> > 2. While taking these photos I was only wearing one black
> sock and a lime
> > green thong. Was I overexposed?
>
> The black sock is probably not an issue, unless the thong to which you
> refer is an item of footwear.  In this case, the exact
> placement of the
> sock can certainly change the legal definition of exposure,
> even if the
> absolute degree of exposure is relatively unchanged.

After I submitted this 2 part question I thought the second part would
prevent anyone taking the first part seriously. However, I have gotten very
good response on the first part and very amusing response to the second
part. Bobert must be very busy these days. No response from him.

Greg