Re: Testing shutter speeds

I assumed that the object started from rest with zero initial
velocity and the shutter opening coinciding with that instant.  If
you can't manage that you have one equation in two unknowns -- not
enough information.  Your equation appear to have t^2 in the
denominator.  If we measure t from the instant the object is
released, the distance it falls in an interval t2 - t1 is (x2 - x1) =
0.5*g*(t2^2 - t1^2) = 0.5*g*(t2 + t1)*e.  Two measurements with t1
the same for both will give e.  Unfortunately, that's hard to do.
Knowing the size of the object will remove the uncertainty resulting
from an unknown magnification.

Roger

--
  R. Eichhorn