Re: Testing shutter speeds

Hi Roger,

Right ... but I was suggesting (well, in my head anyway!) waiting a while
before activating the shutter. Such as maybe 1/2 second ... or 1 second at
which time the object will be moving at a considerable clip and even at 1/400
second the distance it moves in 1/400 second will be considerable. Further, to
measure the blur with more accuracy obviously we want to reproduce it optically
so it almost fills the frame.

Of course, timing becomes extremely difficult. Especially if we want the blur
to extend almost from edge to ege on the film. Finally the object is
accelerating and this would also need to taken into account when the analysis
of the blur is made. This becomes less of a problem with short blurs but to the
enterprising physicist the location (from rest) of the beginning and end of the
blur will be translatable to exposure time given a known acceleration. Oh, yes
- also the kind of shutter used needs to be thought about. If FP its direction
of motion relative to the falling object becomes a factor. Also, shutter
efficiency is something that ought to be considered.

I use this "technique" to measure (re-measure) acceleration due to gravity once
students have been introduced to the "concept" of calibration. Once their
shutters are calibrated against a standard they use them to measure other
things. Sure, it is the "hard" way to do things but it gives them something to
think about - I hope! In fact, they have MANY things to think and hopefully
learn about! BTW, I do this project early on in the semester when they still
don't know what hit them and take things more seriously. I do the "fun" stuff
later on!  :)

Andy