my gallery review

well well...since i do not submit photos these days, i guess i'll have to at
least review this week's gallery...

so, without reading any of the earlier reviews, and to my limited abilities,
here is what i have to say for the photos that klicked my eye...

boy! have we got a colourful gallery this week!

Janine C. Hanson - Fisherman's Dream 2000
hm...dreamy enough, and a good combination of transparent blue and earth
tones...length to height ratio was well chosen. a good one even if a bit
abstract.

King/Arthur - Wiggleman Walk To X
nice pick of colors, but it is too abstract, and i dare to say jumbled, for
me. no way i can understand what it is, let alone the title.

Roderick Chen - untitled
in my PC the connection downloads the photos in strips starting from the
top. so the first impression was "what a nice bouquet", but when
the hands appeared they added a feeling of gentleness and maybe frailness to
the already delicate coloured tulips. that and the still shallower DOF at
the flower stems make the pic different from the rest bouquet captions. well
done!

jIMMY Harris - Green Spider
wow! black, rose and green, set in a way that encapsulates the tender and
innocent petals around the dark and the ugly.marvelous composition. but i
would much better prefer if there was more of the spider's body contrasting
with the rose petals.but you know if that was possible.
BTW...if any one of you thinks this is ugly, i wonder what you'd feel about
a spider under a x36 lab maginfication...brrrrrrr!

Greg Fraser - Victoria Day 2002
nice try and timing Greg,and i do like the fact that not all of the firework
is visible-it amplifies the fireworks' sense of "light out of nowhere", but
personally i do not like the bottom of the picture. it may function as a
reference point, but it disturbs my kind of height/length photo balance. and
you have quite a strange hue of blue there. acceptable and "explorable".

Brian Chandler - After Greg Fraser
i've got mixed feelings about this. colours are interesting, but i get the
feeling that it is a too complicated form and to shallow DOF. sorry it does
not speak to me.

Christiane Roh  - London, British Museum, April 2002
ah! straight breed of an architectural record/teaching photo.good framing,
though a bit too tilted, and i know all about that shadows...they ARE
disturbing yet unavoidable.

Andrew Fildes - untitled
nice trick, it aproximates sepia toning. and the grain in her hands fit the
tired look in her face. good depiction of the subject at its moment.

Elson T. Elizaga - Operating Room
well... too directional a light, too dark the surgeons (we are accustomed to
lighter tones) but it distracts from the view of blood (which for a rare
indeed time, i find hair raising. brrrrr!)maybe it is a function of the
small lighted area surounded by dark...too effective.

that's all folks....bye bye!