From: "*-CHILLED DELIRIUM-*" <sfunp@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: Applying appropriate aperture

:
: On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Michael Krebs wrote:
:
: > What would be the desirable aperture setting for table shots of
: > approximately 10 people at a wedding? I use a nikon n90s with a 35-70
2.8
: > lens, an SB-26 flash with 400asa film. I would like to light the
background
: > a bit without blowing out the subjects. Thank you for your suggestions.
: > Michael
:
:    You have some things to consider. First, Depth-of-Field...unless
: you have enough of it, your table shots will not work, and this
: is a parameter without any flexibility. Are you going to have them
: get up and line up behind the other seated half of the table ?
: That would necessitate less DoF. Let's say you're stuck with
: f/8.
:
:   What is the ambient light exposure at f/8 there with your ISO
: 400 film ? My guess (if it's indoors at night) is somewhere
: around f/5.6-8 @ 1/4 sec.
:
:   In order to hold maximum detail in the background you need
: to let as much of the ambient light affect the exposure as
: possible. Since your aperture is fixed by your DoF needs,
: you are left with shutter speed as your control to do this.
:
:   By slowing the shutter down, you will bring in more of
: the ambient light onto the film. With the example at hand, and
: a shutter speed of 1/30th sec. you would be somewhere between
: a 6:1 and an 8:1 ratio, meaning the background would be visible,
: but very dark. If you could go to f/5.6, or risk going to
: 1/15th (you will get some, mostly minor blurs) it would be better.
:
:   Oh...and on the 8th day, the Goddess invented Portra 800...
:
:                                   --- Luis
:
: