Re: Members' exhibits on 01 JUN 02 - Chairs revisited ...

> >               David Small - intermission
> Speaking of which, hmm, surely I've seen this in the gallery before?
> like the viewpoint, anyway: sort of a chair's photograph of a chair.

Brian,

I had the same thought.  I wondered for one moment if this was a new
crop of the previous image.
It, or one very similar, appeared on 2001-01-27.
Are not big hard disks wonderful (until a virus strikes that is).

Indeed, at the time you wrote:
<<David Small - Between the Acts
I'm sure there's a standard arty-farty word (prob. Latin) for the
representation of the (non-existent) subjects by their accessories -
i.e.
the chairs in this case - but I've no idea what it is.

It looks to me as though the bottoms of the chairs form a 'fake
level',
and the real horizon is tilting in the background; in any event,
you've
only used 22K of the 55K you can easily get away with (g), and more
detail would perhaps make the sky much more dramatic. I'm also not
quite
convinced by the viewpoint being almost exactly level with the chair
seats, which leaves them confused with the horizon somehow.>>

This time the image is presented at 46340 bytes.   So does it hold
more detail?

I commented:
<<David Small - Between the Acts
Where is the life?  Surely you need a solitary soul, or even a dog, to
make this really work.  Maybe that's why it is a departure ....   As
it stands:  classically all the chairs face to R yet it is cropped
tightly that side leaving dead space behind them on L.  In that sense
I feel the imbalance too much.

Oh, curious decision about the horizon BTW  ;o)

I'm guessing it's not taken in NYC?>>

The horizon has not straightened ... ;o)

Jim Davis noted:
<<Between the Acts - interesting to see chairs in a field like this -
I don't
get the feeling of a beach here though - I don't know, it just doesn't
do
anything for me.>>

Ferret wrote:
<<David Small, "Between the Acts"

I like this photograph. It evokes in me a deep feeling of loneliness.
The
chairs, irregularly spaced emphasize this feeling. The choice of black
and
white also contributes to the feeling of emptiness. The vast sky as
the
major element in the picture also enhances the feeling. I particularly
like
the way the sky is light at the top, and darkens as it approaches the
chairs. This gives an element of hope to the loneliness that gives me
an out
if I choose to go in that direction.

The downer is the comment. The clouds that I see do not portend a
storm. If
that were the case, I would like to see them to be darker, more
menacing.
And as my personal interpretation of this photo is the feeling of
loneliness, I think I would like to see just a bit more of the top of
the
seats of the chairs, as I feel it may add to the fact that they are
alone.

Very good image.>>