Gallery Impressions May 27, 2002

While welcoming the return of the screaming in my head, I received these
impressions of this weeks gallery as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Marilyn Dalrymple (Tiffany With Watering Can) - Not a big fan of cute
(unless its my own kids) I must say that this photo is really well done.
Beautiful exposure even in the white dress. Very cute model and demure pose.
I like the cloud floor but please tell me those aren't wings. If the edge
effect is controllable I would make it not follow the line of the bench leg
at the bottom left.

jIMMY Harris (A Couple) - Pushing the envelope eh jIMMY but how else can you
get those nature shots. I find the inclusion of the tree interesting and I
even like the layers of shading on the grass but overall the color and
blurriness are just a little flat. You certainly had a good angle for
capturing their immodest groping but it looks as if you were very, very
safely far away from them. If you had sneaked up on them and taken the shot
from about 10 feet away like that old man did to my wife and myself at what
we thought was a deserted beach, then the element of danger would enhance
the image. Were you actually riding while shooting or using the monopod or
both?

Rick Kessler (A study of a study) - A very strong argument for being
prepared. For a shopping mall melee shot, you captured a great pose. My
cuteness level is rapidly becoming saturated.

Gary M. Thomas (Reach for it) - Nice action freeze. I would prefer a
shallower dof but it looks like that brutal sunlight probably prevented
that. Very nice action.

Janine C. Hanson (Catskill Autumn, NY 2001) - Beautiful, beautiful
reflection in the water and I just love the way it works with the flat grey
rocks. The trees form a V that is echoed by the rocks and creek but then the
foreground rock break the V with a solid horizontal slab which, to me, is
accentuated by the square format. I would crop before this foreground slab
and have the bottom of the frame be water. I can't seem to find a cropping I
really like though but that's just me.

Bob Talbot (Historical Artefact) - What shameless shmoozers those pharaos
were. If I were you I would have taken a great big wad of chewing gum, stuck
it to the back of the camera and adhered it to the eye of the bust. Sure the
museum people will freak out but who hasn't been chased from a museum at
least once a year?

Roderick Chen (Blue wall) - I like what's happening above and behind the
wall. I like the way the post blocks most of the left hand door. I can't
tell if my mind is being overloaded by blue or if there is just too many
little rectangles. I think my lust for curves is spoiling my enjoyment of
this image. I must ask though. Is this really a blue wall or has the image
been filtered somehow? It looks like it really is blue but I can't imagine
anyone doing all that. This reminds me of an amusing navy story but perhaps
this is not the place for that.

Christiane Roh (Santa Cruz de Tenerife, January 2000) - Now that both you
and Bob have giant heads, I want one too. They are really powerful things
these detached faces. Bob's heavilly shadowed head was very 3d but this
image looks two dimensional almost like a collage. Like someone ripped a
hole in an image of the street and placed the face image in the hole. Very
cool effect. Basically the same subject as in Bob's image but an extremely
different interpretation. Lucky for me they were no more than one week
apart.

Dan Mitchell (Mandoo) - Maybe I'm just envious of being able to wear a head
to toe fur coat even in summer but photos of cats are of limited interest to
me. Mandoo is just not doing it for me.

King/Arthur (Three Little Sheep) - Really? There are three? I wish I could
see the whole shadow of the foreground sheep. I don't mind whatever effect
you have added to this shot but it doesn't thrill me either. I like the way
the sunlight makes the midground sheep stand out from the fence but that
really isn't enough for me to be thrilled with this image.

Andrew Davidhazy (Leah) - Excellent combination of art and science Andy. Why
rewind the film through the camera. Would it look strange if you ran if
forward while exposing or did you wind it back so that the winding mechanism
would be disconnected from the film? When are you going to take some 3d
strip images? (Strip in the sense of film strip and not clothing removal).

Thanks to everyone that made this gallery possible - both the contributors
and those behind the server.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962