From: "*- CHILLED DELIRIUM-*" <sfunp@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 12:33 PM
Subject: Postcards Received

:
:        *************************************
:        * Warning: Major 'drool'-in-progress*
:        *************************************
:
:
:   Ernst-Ulrich Schafer's iconic "All-American", my
:  favorite part of which is the optical collapse of depth
:  that we cognitively realize is there via tonal and textural
:  strategies, reminding the viewer of the illusory aspects
:  of the medium.
:
:   Lea Murphy's precisely composed and beautifully lit
:  Salt & Pepper shakers are a great example of photographing
:  things for "what else they might be". Her roses are a classic,
:  beautiful composition, but not dainty or evanescent/fragile,
:  instead, the one in the foreground is vibrant and strong,
:  a living roseate mandala, and in her photograph, will never wilt.
:
:  A mysterious landscape of trees and an old roadside fence at dawn
:  came from Rand Flory. The lines lead us to the light in this photo,
:  and I get a feeling of revelation every time I look at this.
:
:  Marilyn sent a still-life of a fan, beautifully composed. The
:  ethereal form of the fan has as much weight as its shadow. A
:  warm, quiet, contemplative picture.
:
:  From Karl Shah-Jenner, an architectural detail of a modernist
:  glass building, a silvery formalist exercise that shows
:  sophistication in its precariously balanced asymmetrical
:  composition. Almost abstract, this shows what wonders lie
:  when we "walk out of the film and focal plane" in our seeing.
:
:  Colette Molyneaux's daring image of a banister, its shadow projected
:  on a grid of bricks on the floor, a layer of water, a dock
:  and trees in the background makes me feel like I am there.
:  A complex, multifaceted, richly textured, asymmetrical composition, full
:  of repeating, yet varying, forms harmonizing & embracing one another.
:  The slices of space defined by the uprights, and the varying
:  perspectives of the circles imply time and multiple points of view, IMO.
:
:  Bobbie Blazy photographed  what appears to be a bicycle graveyard,
:  showing bits of bicycles along the edge of the frame, almost pure
:  form, with a huge expanse of negative space, a wall in the background
:  with subtle, delicious mints, grays and contrapuntal rust stains.
:  There are many forms that echo and mirror one another here. A good
:  example of the old saw that sometimes less is more.
:
:  A beautiful scenic of a waterfall from North Carolina came from
:  Byron Yeiser. I have been in the area many times, and this
:  takes me back to the place...and makes me long for it.
:
:  Jeff Spirer's Unfinished Dream has an existential feel to it,
:  and before reading the title, the dream-like quality of the
:  scene in the room struck me. This has Jeff's signature daring
:  use of light and space, and in this instance, the risk paid off.
:
:  Like a sleeping dragon, a locomotive exhales at night in Angi
:  Turnpaugh's Iron Horse photograph. Beautifully lit, the reverse
:  flowing plumes make this an unusual picture.
:
:  Steve Shapiro's superb California shorescape is a classic. Printed
:  so that only the hottest highlights touch white, and the rest
:  falls into shadows that contain detail right into black.
:  One stirring image, a perfect blend of a sense of place and a
:  sense of being.
:
:  Achal gifted me with a diptych of twin architectural images of
:  a beautiful spanish mission-style building that brings to mind
:  Hotel California (!). One is "Jan-scan green", the other untoned.
:
:  Lustowner Andy's rendering of cracks in a fracture pattern made
:  for a gripping, contrasty abstraction.
:
:  The Wyndham Pinhole Project photo that Guy Glorieux sent is
:  amazing. It has a Gursky-like feel to it, but adds a sense
:  of insight...almost as if one is seeing an X-ray of the city.
:  I looked carefully, and with the lower diagonal of cars, I think
:  the 6th parking space, starting from the bottom right, had two
:  different cars in it during the exposure. Very eerie feel to it,
:  it has the in-a-dream feel that only pinholes seem to give...
:
:    Thanks to all who have sent me postcards, what a privilege it
:  is to own one of your photos ! To the rest, HURRY UP !!!!!!!
:  Oops, that means me. Ahem !
:
:                                  --- Luis
:
:
:
: