RE: Not really photography but optics related

It is a Galilean telescope.  The objective is a converging lens and the
eyepiece is a diverging lens.

It must be a wide angle version, however and have an objective with a very
short focal length.

If I remember rightly the magnification is the ratio of the focal length of
the objective over the focal length of the eyepiece,  so if the objective
has a shorter focus length than the eyepiece then it will make a smaller
image, but wide angle.

Chris Strevens
http://www.chrisscrazyideas.co.uk
http://www.chrissimageshop.co.uk