Re: JUPITER lense

>Hi Kostas! :-)

hi there karl!
>no, but some Russian lenses I  _have_  had experience with have proved to
>be
>really good

indeed! lenses for the kiev 120 format cameras, rival the ones by hassie,
and they are interchangable too...met an american tourist at the camera
store one day. he was searching for a 180mm? lense for his hassie. when i
oppened my bag and pulled the Kiev camera and fitted that lense on his
hassie he went bananas and rushed for the closest Russian flea
market.(living in greece means you have access to soviet/russian material
that the immigrants sell almost for their weight worth.

- unfortunately their reputation for quality control is poor
>resulting in inconsistencies between lenses - that is to say, from the same
>batch one may be very good while the next is very poor.
>

> > i donot know if it is used 'cos the plastic cylindrical box and the
>lense
> > itself smell of grease. in fact there is old grease between the elements
> > module and the rest of the lense body which screw off. there are even
>traces
> > of grease among the 14 shutter leafs.
>
>grease or oil in the shutter blades isn't a good thing - it can slow down
>the speed at which the iris actuates and even prevent the iris from
>stopping
>down all the way to the correct aperture.  I expect that you stop this lens
>down manually so this shouldn't be a problem, as long as none of the oil
>gets on the lens elements!

no worries, it is a manual one.after all i know the apertre it will be used
in a concert.strictly f/2

> > tripod and run a comparison test with all my lenses.
> > here are the results:
> >
> >                                f/22   f/16   f/11    f/8      f/5.6
>f/4
>f/3.5      f/2.8   f/2
> > jupiter 85mm = --   1/15  1/30  1/90  1/180  1/350   --    1/1000
>1/1500
> > makinon @85mm=  1/8   1/15  1/30  1/90    1/180   --    1/750  --
>--
> > pentax  @80mm=    1/15 1/30  1/60  1/125 1/250   --    --     --      --
> >
> > note that the shutter speeds run close with my jupiter and makinon ones,
>and
> > are one stop faster than the pentax(though in practice overexposure of 1
> > stop is needed for the makinon). also note the ONE and a HALF stop
> > difference between f/11 and f/8 in both the non-Pentax lenses. that i
>cannot
> > explain...
> >
> > so what do you think?
>
>three thoughts occur to me:
>a)Is your pentax lens a zoom lens with a variable aperture?   this will
>lead
>to different readings unless you take the _actual_ aperture into account
>and
>not just the mark on the lens barrel.

yes it is teh 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 one

>b) different lenses have slightly different errors in aperture as a result
>of manufacturing variations, wear on the iris actuation mechanism, or oil
>on
>the blades (!)

argggh!

>c) the optical characteristics in respect of light transmission will vary
>with the materials used to make the lens or materials used to coat the
>lens.
>This is why apertures marked in 'f stops' are not considered good enough
>for
>the movie industry where they rely on lenses tested to take the optical
>characteristics into account and give the 'light gathering ability' of
>lenses in 't-stops' (transmission stops).
>
>Lens flare will also contribute to light meter readings.. the way to
>eliminate that variation is to use a concertina lens hood, masking the lens
>to the exact frame format of the scene in realtion to the film (sorry if
>this sounds confusing).. what I mean is that you have to eliminate all
>light
>that is NOT used to make the image from entering the lens and bouncing
>around the lens elements and lens barrel.  In reality, this will only give
>you a guide as to what the lenses optimal characteristics are but you
>should
>probably ignore that and test the lenses in a 'real world' setting - under
>the conditions you intend to use them, making comparitive shots on positive
>film or black and looking at them critically and objectively.
>
>hope this helps
yes it did...
but still i cannot gras the way the makinon lense behaves...i mean i get a
reading of 1 stop faster coming from the ttl meter, but still i negate it by
overexposing 1 stop to get the correct exposure....
people have heard about the lense, and they do not like it (sometimes i do
too) but sometimes i get Results. tehy guy at the camera store was amazed by
the sharpness of the images taken at the traffic light photo session.beats
me!
kostas