Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [Skytools-users] WAL Shipping + checkpoint

Sébastien Lardière wrote:
Hi All,

I've a cluster ( Pg 8.3.7 ) with WAL Shipping, and a few hours ago, the master had to restart.

I use walmgr from Skytools, which works very well.

I have already restart the master without any problem, but today, the slave doesn't work like I want. The field "Time of latest checkpoint" from the pg_controldata on the slave keep the same values, but WAL File are processed correctly.

I try to restart the slave, but, after processed again all the WAL between "Time of latest checkpoint" and, it does nothing else, latest checkpoint stay at the same value.

I don't know if it's important ( i think so ), and I can't fix it.

It is normal for it to lag behind somewhat on the slave (depending on what your checkpoint timeout etc settings are).

However, I've noticed what you are seeing as well - particularly when there are no actual data changes coming through in the logs - the slave checkpoint time does not change even tho there have been checkpoints on the master (I may have a look in the code to see what the story really is...if I have time).

Cheers

Mark